My husband loves pie and we both love cheesecake, so when I started thinking of this recipe I knew I wanted to combine the two. Really this dessert is more of a cheesecake in pie form but I still like calling it cheesecake pie to put a smile on my husband’s face. 4th of July is tomorrow and cherries are such a great summer treat and to me they scream all American. I love to snack on cherries throughout the day, they are so refreshing in the summer heat and this time of year we always have plenty on hand for baking. What I especially love about this recipe is the fresh tart flavor that the lemon and cherries give and the almond topping compliments the flavors so well. If you have any extra time just before the 4th of July festivities, try this recipe out, it’s a winner! If not, you have all summer to try it out!
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 24 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- Lemon juice from 2 lemons
- Grated lemon zest from 2 lemons
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 cups cherries without pits
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- Pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use a food processor to make fine crumbs out of the graham crackers. Place in a bowl, add sugar and melted butter and mix. Place in a 9 in pie dish and lightly press onto the bottom and sides. Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes.
- While the graham cracker crust is baking make your filling. Mix cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl until creamy. Add lemon juice, zest, almond extract and mix. Beat in eggs until combined.
- Once the crust is done pour your filling into crust and lay the cherries on top of the filling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- While the cheesecake pie is baking make your topping. Stir the brown sugar, flour, and almonds. Cut in the butter with two forks or use your hands. Do this until little crumbles form.
- After 30 minutes take the cheesecake pie out of the oven and sprinkle with topping.
- Place back in over and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove cheesecake pie from oven and let cool on a wire rack for at least an hour before you refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours.