On February 3rd 2015 I married the man of my dreams in Red Rock Canyon, Las Vegas. We had an outdoor wedding with under 30 guests, sweet and simple. I surprised my husband with a mini Rustic Naked Wedding Cake and Topper that was just for the two of us to enjoy, but I didn’t want to leave our guests out. I figured what better way than with mini mason jar cakes! I used the same butter cake recipe but I made cupcakes instead and made half the frosting with pink vanilla buttercream and half with chocolate buttercream, so that guests would have a choice. Not only could they enjoy delicious cake, they had a little mason jar to take home! We had a vintage and rustic theme so I adorned the mini mason jars with twine, a handmade monogrammed tag, and a mini wooden spoon. I have to say it was one of most rewarding DIY projects I’ve ever worked on. Our guests fell in love! I also designed and made my bouquet, the floral arrangements, his boutonniere, and pieced together the whole setup with furniture we own. The most beautiful day of my life!
- Mini mason jars
- Wood craft spoons
- Round tags (I found them in the Martha Stewart section at Michaels)
- Ink pad with desired color (I used gold)
- Stamp set
- Crate (found at Michaels)
- Piping bag and tips for frosting
- White candy pearls or any desired sprinkle
- Bake your cupcakes using the Rustic Naked Wedding Cake recipe or recipe of your choice.
- Once cupcakes are completely cool you can start assembling the mason jars.
- Peel the paper liners off, remove the top half of the cupcake, and place in the mason jar. Pipe frosting. Add the top of the cupcake. Pipe more frosting and top with white candy pearls.
- To make the tags just use desired letter and stamp directly onto tag.
- Pull twine through the tag and tie around mason jar. Add a spoon.
- You can arrange the finished mason jars in a crate or on a table would be beautiful as well.
And because our photographer Gaby J is amazing…I’ve included a few more from our couples session after the ceremony.
All photos courtesy of Gaby J Photography