Oh sweet sponge cake how I love you. You’re so light, fluffy, and full of flavor. Thank you for being so good even without butter or oil!
My husband ate this cake in pretty much a matter of 24 hours. My mom and I had one slice each and that was that. He devoured this cake! Like I turned my head to grab something from the fridge and then it was gone. Just like that. Well almost. You know what I mean. He loves sweets, really really loves sweets. He’s never eaten a cake this fast, so I pretty much came to the conclusion that it was because it’s so light and airy. It’s not heavy like butter cakes because it’s made without any added fat, just what’s in the eggs. Needless to say, my husband loved my reasoning as to why he ate the entire cake minus two slices.
And you know what? The best part about this cake is the frosting. Probably the best I’ve ever made! I love lemon zest frosting! I’m hooked.
- For the Cake:
- 3/4 all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup vanilla pudding mix (1 box)
- 6 eggs (separated)
- For the Frosting:
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup softened cream cheese
- 1 jar marshmallow fluff
- Zest from two lemons
- Juice from 1 lemon
- For the Garnish:
- 1 cup raspberries
- 3 thin lemon slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9 inch round baking pans. Line with parchment paper. Grease and flour parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat 1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon sugar with egg yolks until white and fluffy. Set aside.
- In another bowl beat egg whites and the remaining sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Add the pudding powder to flour and mix.
- Add 1/3 of the egg whites to the egg yolk mixture and fold. Add 1/3 of the flour and fold. Continue to do this another two times. Your mixture should be light and fluffy.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake for about 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and invert onto a wire rack. Let cool completely before assembling and frosting.
- To make frosting cream the butter, cream cheese, marshmallow fluff, lemon zest, and lemon juice until light and fluffy.