I love bread. Period. White, wheat, sourdough, French, Italian, baguette, roll, loaf. I could go on and on but you get the picture. This recipe is a basic bread machine recipe and it yields the most amazing bread and leaves the entire house smelling like a boulangerie!
Ingredients for Dough
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp rapid rise yeast
Ingredients for Glaze
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place ingredients in machine according to instructions and select the dough program.
- Once complete, remove the dough and place in a greased bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Punch the dough down. Cut into two even pieces and form into loaves. Place them on a greased baking sheet and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let dough sit for an additional 45 minutes to rise.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl combine the water and salt for the glaze.
- Cut four slits into each loaf. Brush each loaf with the glaze.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a golden brown color.
- Remove from oven and place on a rack.
*Tip: If you want to save a loaf for later wait until it is cool and wrap in plastic wrap and freeze! When you are ready to enjoy, let the loaf come to room temperature. The dough holds up so well this way and is delicious!