Winter is the perfect time for oatmeal. It warms you up first thing in the morning and fills you up until lunch time. I for one love being full until lunch, less snacking, especially after all the holiday eating! Lets be honest, plain oats are not the best tasting (actually they’re ewwww), so I decided to use an apple and some basic ingredients I had on hand to make this a rich and decadent oatmeal. I added cinnamon, brown sugar, and my secret ingredient that’s not so secret anymore, almond extract. I used a combination of milk and almond milk in this recipe but you can use one or the other or just use water. Using almond milk or water would make this Vegan! Of course water doesn’t add the creaminess that milk and almond milk do.
Yields 1 serving
- 3/4 cup oats
- 3/4 cup milk (substitute with water or almond milk to make Vegan)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 apple
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch of salt
- Chopped walnuts or almonds for topping (optional)
- Cut up half an apple into small cubes, about 1/2 inch. Place them in a small skillet over medium heat. Add one tablespoon of brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Cook until apples are soft.
- In a small saucepan pour 1/2 milk, 1/4 cup almond milk, oats, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, and a pinch of salt. Bring the mixture to a boil on medium heat and cook until oats are soft. Add your last 1/4 cup of milk in the last few minutes of cooking.
- Scoop oats into a bowl, add apples on top and garnish with chopped walnuts or almonds if desired.